Teacher with a Travel Trailer & a Great Husband

The Trip Back to CT was STRESSFUL!


Hello My Friends!

Packing up our inaugural camping trip was a real bummer!  That final night as the flame flickered to hot spots in the ashes of our campfire, we began the task of packing up the outside since we were heading out early on Sunday morning.

I think that we will become better and quicker at packing up as our trips go along and when everything actually has a  home for stowing.  We woke up on Sunday morning to torrential rain, thunder and lightning.  It was the first time that I have been in a travel trailer during rainy weather.  The sound of the rain beating on the exterior was  resounding through the little structure.  Boy, we were sure glad that we had packed-up the outside on Saturday night and that we were in a TT rather than a tent!

The storm clouds cleared by 9:00. Stowing things inside was pretty easy.  We boxed up what we were not going to keep in the camper all of the time and put them in the bed of the truck.  It’s funny how I had to look at all items in the TT as possible projectiles when careening down the interstate.  Thinking in that way really helped in the long run because we had “issues” on the road.

About an hour into our drive, I heard Katie yell from the back seat, “OMG, I think that the door just flung open!”  Bill and I look out the side mirror in horror and sure enough, the door was flapping in the wind! “Didn’t you lock it?” asked Bill in a raised voice.  “You did when you put up the steps”, I said back (yay, we were both just below yelling). Now, I KNOW that it was double locked because we ran our pack-up list that we created the day before .  We sat at the campfire together and ran through all of the things that we had to do before pulling out of the campsite, and I wrote all of the items in the notes of my IPhone.  We checked the notes as we completed each task.  The door had been locked, twice, and the handrail was folded over the door.

This all occurred as the traffic in PA was going from two lanes into one and we just could not pull over; it took about 1/4 of a mile before we could stop which seemed like an eternity.  We pulled over, I ran down and saw that the tissue box, the sink cover and even the dinette table had moved around the camper.  THANKFULLY, nothing fell out of the TT door, and it did not look like we sustained much damage (some of the veneer on the dinette had been pulled off).  I double-locked the door, pulled on it to be sure that it was secured, and snapped the handrail over the door.  We began to sail away.

Guess what? The door flung open two more times!  We had to get off of the interstate, and pull into a police station so that we could really check out the darn door.  Just like before, it seemed to be locked even when pulling on it but we just could not take the chance, we had to tie it down.

Now, Bill is just like a Boy Scout, he is always prepared.  He had a ratchet tie in the back of the truck because you never know when you will need one; thank Heaven!  He wrapped it around the handrail and ratcheted it down to the stairs.  Now, even if the door did manage to open again, the rail would keep it in place.  We left KOA in Bellefonte PA around 10:00 AM and we were supposed to be home before 2:00.  We pulled into our driveway after stopping only twice for creature comforts: gas, bathroom and a doggy walk around 6:30.  All of the other interruptions were due to the door.

We missed our niece and nephew’s graduation party (we are so sorry!), and were tense in every way imaginable but we were home!  The TT made it and  so did we-yay! Now we need to call the RV dealer to find out where we go from here regarding to door, locks and handrail.  I’ll keep you posted.

Even with all of this, I LOVED the trip!  Would I do it again? Absolutely, hopefully next weekend!

Do you have any stress stories about your TT to share?  What happened? Did it change your love of camping? Thank you for sharing. 🙂

Happy Camping!